Meet my plant-based baby bella, poblano, and corn tacos. They’re my favorite way to indulge in tacos any day of the week! The sautéed baby bella mushrooms in the filling create meatiness … no meat required. And the remaining ingredients are soooo flavorful. Hello warm spices and caramelized poblano peppers and corn.
Veggie Taco Filling:
- 1 tablespoon avocado or sunflower oil
- 1 large (4-ounce/115-gram) poblano pepper, cut into short thin strips
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) fresh or thawed frozen organic corn, patted dry
- 1 1/2 cups (115 grams) sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime (1 tablespoon), or to taste
- 3 small (about 5-inch) soft tortillas of choice, warmed or lightly grilled
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Chipotle Crema (see recipe below) or vegan sour cream
- 3 tablespoons Simple Guacamole (see recipe below) or guacamole of choice
- 3 or 4 tri-color grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves or several small sprigs
- Fully heat the oil in a large cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet over medium-high. Add the poblano and corn and sauté until lightly browned and corn begins to crackle and pop, about 4 minutes. Remove 1 tablespoon of the corn to use for garnish.
- Add the baby bellas to the veggie mixture in the skillet and sauté until the baby bellas are fully softened and the mixture is browned, about 5 minutes more. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and lime juice, to taste.
- Stuff tortillas with the veggie taco filling, crema, guacamole, tomatoes, reserved corn garnish, and cilantro, and serve. (Pro-tip: Enjoy with a quick-to-fix bean salad or vegetarian refried beans on the side.)
Vegan Chipotle Crema: In a small bowl, stir together 5.3 ounces (150 grams) plain unsweetened Greek-style almond milk yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder, and 1/8 teaspoon sea salt. Makes about 1/2 rounded cup.
Simple Guacamole: In a small bowl, slightly mash and stir with a fork cubes from 1 small avocado, 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro, 1 teaspoon lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon sea salt. Makes about 2/3 cup.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican, California
- Serving Size: 3 tacos
- Calories: 430
- Sugar: 9g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 760mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: tacos, plant-based tacos, vean tacos, vegetarian tacos, mexican cuisine, mushrooms, baby bellas, corn, poblano pepper, plant-based recipe