There’s something about it being sunny and warm outdoors (finally!) that makes me want to “play” with my food. That’s exactly what I was doing when I created this Asian-style taco recipe. It’s definitely not your ordinary taco! The tortillas and lime wedges are grilled for smoky goodness. You’ll get lots of crunch from a colorful cole slaw mix and dry roasted peanuts. There’s plenty of high-flavored ooziness from a lime-accented peanut butter sauce and gochujang. And the highlight is Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chick’n, providing a unique plant-based protein twist. (Hint: You’ll make the chick’n in advance and can heat it up in a cast iron skillet on the grill.) It’s so yum! Plus, it’s vegan—so it’s ideal for a Meatless Monday-inspired Memorial Day BBQ. But please serve up this showstopper at any summertime cookout … no need to wait for next Monday. Eating less meat has never been so tasty—even for meat eaters!
grilled vegan mandarin orange chick’n tacos
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 taco
- Juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons) + wedges of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 (10.5-ounce) package Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chick’n*
- 4 soft-taco-size sprouted grain or whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 cups cole slaw mix (or shredded cabbage-carrot mixture)
- 2 tablespoons natural gochujang or sriracha sauce, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, peanut butter, and about 1 1/2 teaspoons cold water (or to desired saucy consistency). Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the frozen chick’n pieces and cook, turning often until crisp and golden, about 8 minutes. Toss with the warmed mandarin orange sauce to fully coat. (Hint: The chick’n can be prepared in advance at this point.) Warm chick’n in the cast iron skillet placed over indirect heat on a grill.
- Brush the lime wedges with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Grill the lime wedges and the tortillas over direct medium-high heat until grill marks form. (Note: Tortillas should still be pliable.)
- Top tortillas with the cole slaw mix and drizzle with the lime-peanut butter sauce. Top with the chick’n and drizzle with the gochujang sauce to taste. Sprinkle with the peanuts and cilantro. Serve with the grilled lime wedges.
Per serving: 400 calories, 21g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 42g total carbohydrate, 5g dietary fiber, 13g total sugars, 14g protein
*Includes chick’n pieces and mandarin orange sauce
The “Before” Version
Compare to Ranchero Chicken Tacos
Nutrition info: https://www.chilis.com/docs/Chilis-Nutrition-Menu-Generic.pdf
- Consider a high-flavored plant-based protein in lieu of chicken … at least on Meatless Monday!
- Go for whole grain or sprouted whole grain in place of white flour tortillas for extra flavor and health-promoting nutrients
- Choose to drizzle with a nut butter-based sauce to boost heart friendliness instead of relying on cheese or sour cream