If you want a really chocolatey dessert (or snack) that makes you feel really healthy, this no-cook plant-based cocoa mousse is my favorite pick right now. It’s based on chickpeas which provide so much nutritional goodness along with velvety creaminess. And the sweetness in this mousse is from dates—making it a no-sugar-added treat. The result is 100% yum.
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas (do not drain)
- 4 ounces pitted dates (about 20 dates)
- 1 1/4 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder (1/3 cup packed)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt*
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened plant-based milk, peppermint or green tea, or water, or as needed
- Add the chickpeas with all the chickpea liquid (aquafaba), dates, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt to a blender and purée on high speed until velvety smooth and warm, about 4 minutes, adding plant-based milk or other liquid by the teaspoon, as needed, for proper blending or desired consistency.
- Pipe (using a pastry bag) or spoon the mousse into dessert dishes, little bowls, or small jars. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- If desired, add toppings (see notes), and serve. Hint: Enjoy as a dessert or snack.
Coconut whipped cream + dusting of cocoa powder + fresh raspberries or cherries
Coconut whipped cream + shaved dark chocolate + fresh mint leaves
Fresh strawberries or orange segments
Peanut butter + peanuts
Granola or crushed graham crackers
Banana slices + toasted coconut flakes
Dollop of plant-based vanilla yogurt + dusting of cocoa, cinnamon & cayenne pepper
Shaved dark chocolate + flaked sea salt
*If using low-sodium instead of no-salt-added canned chickpeas, use less sea salt in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 9 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Desserts, Snacks
- Cuisine: American, French, Mediterranean, Fusion
- Serving Size: 1/2 rounded cup
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 20g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 160mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: mousse, pudding, plant-based mousse, chocolate mousse, plant-based chocolate mousse, plant-based dessert, chocolate dessert