- 2/3 cup (2 oz) California walnut halves and pieces
- 3 oz pitted dried dates (about 10-12 dates)
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp grated orange or mandarin orange zest
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened green tea or water, or as needed (optional)
- 16 extra-large California strawberries
- 16 (4-inch) lollipop sticks
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the walnuts and toast while stirring occasionally until desired brownness, about 2 1/2 minutes.
- Add the walnuts, dates, cocoa powder, orange zest, vanilla, and salt to a food processor. Cover and puree on high speed until mixture has a thick, dough-like texture when pressed with the back of a spatula, at least 3 minutes, adding the drizzling of tea or water, if needed.
- Remove the leaves (hull) the strawberries. Core (scoop out) the center white part of each strawberry using a paring knife and/or small melon baller or 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon.
- With your fingers, press or roll the chocolatey filling into 16 pear-shaped balls, about 1 fully-rounded measuring teaspoon each. Press one ball into (and just outside of) each strawberry crevasse/opening. (Note: It’ll be pear-shaped). Insert each stuffed strawberry onto a lollipop stick.
- Keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Store for up to 4 days.
The moister the dates, the better.
Low-waste tip: Chill (or freeze) leftover strawberry scraps for pureeing into a smoothie or tossing onto a salad.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Category: snack, appetizer,
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 2 pops
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 10g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 35mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: lollipops, snacking, cawalnuts, castrawberries, domorewithwalnuts produceforbetterhealth, haveaplant, plantbasedrecipe, plantbased, kid-friendly recipe,