Sure, I’m a big fan of avocado toast. I know I’m not alone in that! But when I don’t have a ripe avocado, this is my toast of choice! It’s inspired by my heritage—-I’m half Lebanese. That means I’m pretty much going to enjoy hummus anything. For this recipe, instead of toasting bread, I grill it for extra interest and smoky flair. And yes, a pan grill works well. The salsa is inspired by Mexican pico de gallo, but it includes cucumber and the herbs are switched up a bit. (I enjoy this salsa anytime; but it’s especially delicious when tomatoes are at peak season, of course!) As for the hummus, make your own or take a shortcut and buy it. It’s completely up to you! What I especially love about this recipe is that you can have the salsa and hummus ready to go in the fridge and then simply grill up bread as you like—even if dining for one. Enjoy as a no-brainer pick for a Meatless Monday lunch entrée or a quick fix whenever!
Calories Saved: 205
Why it’s better for you? Both avocado toast and hummus toast are packed with good nutrition! Though hummus toast does have more protein when served as is!
grilled hummus toast with middle eastern salsa
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 toast
- 1 1/4 cups finely diced Persian or English cucumbers (about 2 small Persian cucumbers)
- 1 medium vine-ripened tomato, seeds removed, finely diced (or 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes)
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons + 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, cilantro, or mint (or mixture)
- 6 large slices whole grain bread
- 2 cups hummus of choice
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cucumber, tomato, scallions, 2 teaspoons of the olive oil, the lemon juice, salt, and herb(s). Set aside. (Note: You can make in advance and store covered in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.)
- Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat. Very lightly brush bread slices with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil using a silicone brush. Grill bread (in batches, if desired) until rich grill marks form.
- Top each grilled bread slice with the hummus. Drain middle eastern salsa of excess liquid and serve on top of the hummus. Enjoy!
Per serving: 280 calories, 12g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol., 560mg sodium, 31g total carbohydrate, 9g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 0g added sugars, 12g protein
The “Before” Version
Inspired by 5-Minute Avocado Toast
Per serving: 485 calories, 42g total fat, 12g saturated fat, 0.6g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 24g total carbohydrate, 10g dietary fiber, 3g sugars, 7g protein
- Grill instead of toast bread for enhanced smoky intrigue
- Create extra crunchy contrast for velvety hummus with crisp cucumber
- Make a globally inspired pico de gallo by swapping herbs and/or acids