- 2/3 cup (2 oz) California walnuts
- 4 oz Neufchâtel or plant-based alternative
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 8 California strawberries, small diced (about 1 cup packed/diced)
- 4 (8-inch) whole grain flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp balsamic glaze or reduction
- 1/3 cup microgreens (such as arugula microgreens), chopped baby arugula or basil
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the walnuts and toast while stirring occasionally until desired brownness, about 2 1/2 minutes. When cool enough to handle, roughly chop the walnuts.
- In a mixing bowl, add the Neufchâtel, balsamic vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper and blend with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Fold in the strawberries, then the walnuts.
- With a flexible spatula, spread about 1/2 cup filling over each tortilla, like it’s a pizza crust. Roll each up tightly.
- Slice about 3/4-inch off each end of the rolled tortillas. Then slice each rolled tortilla into 6 uniform-size pieces.
- Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- To serve, stand each sliced pinwheel piece on a cut edge, like it’s sushi; splatter with balsamic glaze; top with microgreens; and, if desired, sprinkle with additional black pepper.
For best results, cover and chill the rolled tortillas for at least 20 minutes to firm up before slicing and/or slice just before serving.
If making your own balsamic reduction, add 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring a couple times, until it can coat the back of a spoon (to yield 2 to 3 Tbsp), about 7 minutes. Note: The reduction does thicken slightly as it cools.
Low-waste tip: Chill the tortilla roll end “scraps” for later nibbling as is — or for tossing onto a salad.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Category: snacks, appetizers
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 4 pieces
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 5g includes 2g added sugars
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
Keywords: cawalnuts, castrawberries, snacking, domorewithwalnuts, produceforbetterhealth, haveaplant, pinwheels, tortilla roll-ups, plant-based recipe, plant-based snack