I started making this vibrant sesame carrot salad when I had leftover carrot scraps from prep of my vegan carrot hot dogs. When I made it for others, they often told me it deserved a starring role, not just something to be served as an afterthought. I totally agree! So, here’s the official (yummy!) recipe. And don’t worry, you don’t need to make the vegan carrot hot dogs first … unless, of course, you want to!
- 3 large* carrots, various colors, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut nectar or brown rice syrup (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon natural sriracha or several drops hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and/or naturally-brewed soy sauce, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Using a vegetable peeler, shred carrots into long, thin, fettuccine-like strips/ribbons. (Makes about 8.5 ounces/240 grams carrot ribbons.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lime juice, coconut nectar (if using), sriracha, sesame oil, and salt until a vinaigrette forms.
- Add the carrot ribbons to the vinaigrette and toss to fully coat. Adjust ingredients, to taste.
- Transfer to individual bowls, if desired. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and cilantro, and serve.
*For shredding carrots into strips/ribbons, it can be easier to start with jumbo carrots. Just be sure to have a use for remaining carrot parts that aren’t shredded.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 6g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 340mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: carrots, carrot salad, sesame carrot salad, plant-based salad, salads, salad recipes, vegan recipes, plant-based recipes