- 16 skinny carrots* (8 to 9 inches/20 to 23 centimeters), tops reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 large avocado, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) classic hummus of choice (see recipe HERE)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh carrot tops or cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/218°C.
- Toss the carrots with the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the cayenne, arrange on a baking sheet, and roast until cooked through and caramelized, about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the avocado, hummus, ground coriander, lemon juice, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne to a food processor and puree until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the puree onto a serving platter. Top with the roasted carrots. Sprinkle with the coconut nectar, sesame seeds, and carrot tops, and serve.
*If any of the carrots aren’t so skinny, you can cut them in half lengthwise.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 4 carrots with about 1/4 cup avocado puree each
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 14g includes 2g added sugars
- Sodium: 520mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: carrots, avcoado, side dish, roasted carrots, vegan side dish, plant-based side dish, vegetarian side dish, holiday side dish