- 1 tablespoon white chia seeds
- 60 milliliters ( 1/4 cup) unsweetened jasmine green tea or other mild tea
- 200 grams (1 1/2 cups) whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 105 grams (1/2 cup) virgin (unrefined) coconut oil, liquified/melted*
- 215 grams (1 cup) turbinado sugar
- 215 grams (3/4 cup) creamy no-added-salt, no-added-sugar peanut butter
- 1 3/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Optional: melted vegan bittersweet (70% cacao or higher) chocolate for dipping; flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Line two large baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper or Silpat liners.
- In a small bowl, stir together the chia seeds and tea. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and, if using, ginger. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, blend together the liquified coconut oil and powdered sugar until evenly combined. Add the peanut butter and blend until combined. Add the chia mixture (gel) and extracts and blend until well combined. Add the flour mixture and blend on low speed until evenly combined.
- Scoop then roll dough by hand into 22 balls (about 2 tablespoons/36 grams each). Arrange onto the baking sheets. Slightly flatten the cookies with a fork in crisscross style.
- Bake until slightly browned around the edges, but not firm, about 15 minutes.
- Let completely cool on the baking sheets on racks. Cookies firm up when cool. If desired, dip some or all cookies in melted chocolate** and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Enjoy!
*For enhanced peanutty taste, replace 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil with roasted peanut oil and/or use peanut butter flavor extract in place of almond extract.
**If making a melted chocolate for dunking the cookies fondue-style (or churro-style), stir in a little bit of hot unsweetened jasmine green tea (or other mild tea) to create a slight bit looser/dribblier texture. If you plan to dip the cookies into melted chocolate and cool them for later, don’t add the tea … but you might want to add a teaspoon or two of the virgin coconut oil for a slighted softened texture.
Tip: If you prefer smoother cookie edges, after rolling the dough into balls, flatten into about 2-inch diameter disks and smooth the sides with your hands (as if forming perfectly round slider/burger patties), then press with a fork in crisscross style.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 10g includes 10g added sugars
- Sodium: 95mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: cookies, plant based cookbook, peanut butter cookies, plant-based peanut butter cookies, vegan dessert, vegetarian dessert, plant-based dessert