When can a healthy drink do double duty as a dessert? When you whirl up this fresh mint grasshopper mocktail recipe! It’s inspired by the after-dinner Grasshopper cocktail that’s typically made with green crème de menthe, white crème de cacao, and heavy cream. This virgin version is hangover-free and contains no added sugars and no artery-clogging cream! It has a just-right sweetness and creaminess and fresh minty flair. Plus, it’s a perfect fit for the Recipe Redux theme of this month: Cocktails and Mocktails for May Celebrations. Cheers!
Why it’s good for you? Punch of protein and probiotics!
fresh mint grasshopper mocktail
Yield: 2 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk, well chilled
- 8 pitted dried California dates (2 ounces)
- 10 fresh mint leaves + 2 mint sprigs
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pure chocolate extract
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain skyr (Icelandic-style yogurt) or plant-based Greek-style yogurt
- 4 large ice cubes
- Add the almond milk, dates, mint leaves, and extracts to a high-power blender container. Cover and blend on high speed until dates are well pureed, about 3 minutes. Add the skyr and ice cubes and blend on high speed until creamy, about 45 seconds.
- Pour into chilled martini glasses through a small mesh strainer, using a small spoon to help press mocktail through the strainer.
- Garnish with the mint sprigs and serve immediately.
Per serving: 130 calories, 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 25g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 21g sugars includes 0g added sugars, 6g protein
- When possible, go with natural ways to add sweetness, such as using dried dates, which have a rather neutral flavor making them versatile for creating no-sugar-added cuisine
- Do be a fan of pure flavor extracts, like vanilla, peppermint, and chocolate; a few drops can add plenty of flavor without the excess calories
- Try skyr for creaminess in a beverage; it tends to have less tartness than typical Greek yogurt, which can be ideal when you want healthful creaminess but don’t want that tang