What’s one of my favorite things to enjoy post-workout or after a long, long, long sweaty walk in the summer? This nutty, chocolatey, fruity smoothie! It quenches my thirst, satisfies the desire for something tasty, and provides key nutrients to replenish my body. You can also play with the smoothie recipe and make it your own by adding in some extras, like a few spinach or mint leaves. Or, if you’re in a desserty mood, go for extra-dark chocolatiness by adding in more cocoa powder.
Either way, it’s got good numbers! This recipe provides 33 gram of carbs (with no added sugars!) to replenish glycogen in the muscles and 14 grams of protein to make those muscles happy. It’s also an excellent source of potassium and a good source of sodium to replace electrolytes lost during exercise. The almondmilk offers plant-based nourishment and, of course, provides liquid needed for rehydration. The almond butter adds nuttiness, texture, and plenty of nutrients, including protein and vitamin E. What’s more, you’ll get a punch of both protein and gut-friendly probiotics from the yogurt. (Hint: Use a plant-based yogurt to keep it vegan and Meatless Monday friendly.) Do pre-prep all ingredients in advance. But don’t overthink this smoothie; just drink it. It’s delicious!
Disclosure: At time of posting, I teamed up with Blue Diamond Almond Breeze for a social media campaign. I was not paid for this blog post. The recipe and opinions expressed are my own.
almond & chocolate-covered strawberry smoothie
Yield: 1 serving
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh organic strawberries, frozen (4 ounces)
- 1/2 small fully-ripened banana, sliced and frozen (2.35 ounces)
- 1 to 2 large ice cubes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almondmilk
- 1/4 cup plain organic 0% fat Greek yogurt or plant-based yogurt alternative
- 1 1/2 tablespoons natural almond butter, no salt added
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder made with fair trade cocoa beans
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional garnishes: unsweetened cocoa powder, toasted sliced natural almonds and/or strawberry
- Add all ingredients except garnishes to a blender. Cover and blend on high speed until velvety smooth.
- Serve in a tall chilled glass. If desired, garnish by dusting with cocoa powder, sprinkling with almonds, and/or placing a strawberry on the glass rim.
Per serving: 300 calories, 17g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 5mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 33g total carbohydrate, 9g dietary fiber, 16g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 14g protein
The “Before” Version
- In place of regular dairy milk, consider using unsweetened vanilla almondmilk to keep calories in check while getting a hint of vanilla flavor
- Rather than ice cream, try a combination of plain Greek yogurt, frozen banana, and almond butter for an ice cream-like texture in a nutrient-rich way
- Instead of melted chocolate, use unsweetened cocoa powder to keep this smoothie free from added sugar; you’ll get all the sweetness you need naturally from fruit