Like leftovers? I do! In fact, sometimes I enjoy leftover vegetable dishes more than when originally made. Part of that may be because I consider leftovers as “vintage” cuisine! The other is because I may spend less time actively cooking.
Since this month’s Recipe Redux theme is “Plant Protein Power Bowls,” it’s a perfect time to share with you one of my bowls using “vintage” veggies. I made this one with extra Seasonal Butternut Squash Hash Browns. I stir hemp seeds into the brown rice to significantly pump up the plant-based protein. And I finish it with a little touch of goat cheese for a touch of creamy decadence. (Hint: You can swap that for cashew cheese if you prefer to go vegan.) It’s a complete meal-in-one. And it’s yum! Here you go!
Why it’s good for you? Plenty of protein … which can be especially important when not getting enough protein throughout the day.
- 2/3 cup steamed brown rice, warm
- 3 tablespoons raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1 cup leftover sautéed, roasted or grilled veggies, warm
- 1 cup steamed or wilted leafy greens, such as baby spinach or kale*
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 ounce soft goat cheese (or 1 ounce tree-nut cheese or a fried egg)
- Stir together the steamed brown rice and hemp seeds.
- Arrange in a serving bowl the rice-hemp mixture, veggies, and greens.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt; top with the goat cheese; and serve.
Per serving: 530 calories, 27g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 48g total carbohydrate, 11g dietary fiber, 6g sugars, 26g protein
*Hint: A 5-ounce package fresh baby spinach or kale makes about 1 cup steamed greens.
The “Before” Version
Inspired by Quinoa Buddha Bowl
Original post: http://www.simplyquinoa.com/quinoa-buddha-bowl-recipe/
Per serving (with 2 tablespoons dressing): 563 calories, 23.5 g fat, 73.3 g carbs, 12 g fiber, 18.7 g protein
- It’s okay to use leftovers … and sometimes it’s better!
- To super easily punch up protein, stir hemp seeds into brown rice or other whole grain
- Don’t shy away from a touch of decadence atop your bowl, like an ounce of soft goat cheese