In need of some carbs … good carbs? You’ve found the right recipe! It’s no fettuccine Alfredo; it’s better!
I was loosely inspired by the extra-rich pasta dish to make this Fall twist on it that’s more healthful and more flavorful! Rather than butter and parmesan cheese, I went with extra-virgin olive oil and creamy treenut cheese. You’ll get bonus velvetiness and a boost of color from a mixture of pumpkin puree and vegetable broth. You’ll also love the garlicky accent, crunchy pine nuts, and aromatic fresh basil leaves in this inspired “Alfredo” dish. Pick your favorite pasta shape. Altogether, it’s really, really comforting!
You absolutely won’t have leftovers if you’re serving this for four! But since you’ll only use part of the pumpkin and broth from their cans or other packaging for this recipe, be sure to transfer the unused portion to jars or containers and store in the fridge for a few days or the freezer for up to a few months. Then you’ll have those “leftovers” for the next time you want to whip up this recipe … which doesn’t have to be made just during Fall. Pair it with sautéed greens or a kale or spinach salad for a Meatless Monday-friendly, crave-worthy dinner!
Note: The Recipe Redux theme this month: “Fresh from the Pumpkin Patch.”
creamy vegan pumpkin pasta “alfredo”
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 2/3 cups each
- 10 ounces dry whole grain or pulse pasta of choice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup canned, unsalted, organic pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 ounces soft vegan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup pan-toasted pine nuts or roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions. (Or, to save energy, “lid-cook” the pasta: Bring the pot of water to a boil, stir in the pasta, return to a boil, cover with a lid, and turn off the heat [if gas burner] or remove from heat [if electric burner], and let stand for the exact cooking time suggested on the package.). Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook while stirring until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree, vegetable broth, and salt and cook while stirring until a slightly thickened sauce forms, about 4 minutes. (Hint: If you’re a big fan of pumpkin, you can add extra pumpkin puree into the recipe, if you like.) Add the vegan cheese and stir until creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Add the pasta to the creamy pumpkin sauce along with 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta cooking liquid and the vinegar. Toss or stir to combine. If desired, add additional pasta cooking liquid for a saucier consistency. Adjust seasoning.
- Transfer to bowls, sprinkle with the pine nuts and basil, and serve.
Per serving: 500 calories, 24g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 68g total carbohydrate, 10 dietary fiber, 4g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 17g protein
The “Before” Version
Compare to Fettuccine Alfredo
- As a base for a pasta sauce, enjoy canned, unsalted, organic pure pumpkin puree, such as Farmer’s Market Organic Pumpkin.
- Go with a high-flavored creamy vegan cheese, like Treeline Herb-Garlic French-Style Soft Treenut Cheese.
- Pick a fun pasta shape. I used Sfoglini Pasta Shop Whole Grain Reginetti in this recipe.