- 36 all-natural round dumpling or square wonton wrappers, preferably whole grain
- Juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons) + 3 limes, cut into several small wedges each
- 1 tablespoon unrefined peanut oil
- 1 small jalapeño, with some seeds, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 2 large Portabella mushroom caps
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 5 pieces
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or fresh chunky salsa, drained of excess liquid
- 1 (16-ounce) can organic refried black beans, room temperature (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and pitted
- 36 fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spritz both sides of the dumpling wrappers with cooking spray (try a Misto bottle filled with grapeseed oil or organic/non-GMO corn oil). Form dumpling wrappers over the cups of upside-down mini-muffin pans to form “cups”. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Cool on a rack.*
- Prepare a grill. Whisk together the lime juice, oil, jalapeño, oregano, cumin, and salt in a large bowl. Add the mushroom caps and bell pepper and toss to coat. Grill over direct medium-high heat until cooked through and grill marks form, about 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for about 5 minutes to complete the cooking process. Finely dice the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Toss together the grilled diced vegetables** and pico de gallo in a medium bowl. Drain excess liquid.
- When ready to serve, pipe or spoon the refried beans into each wonton cup (about 2 rounded teaspoons per cup). Spoon the vegetable mixture on top (about 1 tablespoon per cup). Top each with one small round scoop or cube of avocado (try making balls using a 1/8 teaspoon measuring spoon). Add an additional pinch of sea salt to each, if desired. Garnish each with a cilantro leaf. Serve at room temperature on a platter along with the lime wedges.
Per serving: 130 calories, 4g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 20g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 2g sugars, 4g protein
*If not serving right away, store “cups” in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week or in the freezer for up to one month.
**You can make this recipe with various vegetables based on seasonality or personal preference. You’ll need 2 cups packed finely diced grilled vegetables total.
- Serving Size: 3 taco cups