- general tso’s sauce:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened green tea or water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon naturally-brewed soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili paste with garlic
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons coconut nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon organic cornstarch
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen shelled organic edamame
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed or peanut oil
- 1 large (1 1/4-pound) eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes, stem removed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced into matchstick-size strips
- 2 scallions, green part only, minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Prepare the sauce by whisking together the tea, tomato paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili paste, sesame oil, coconut nectar, and cornstarch. Set aside. (Note: Sauce can be made in advance and chilled.)
- Prepare the edamame according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a stick-resistant wok or extra-large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant and sauté until cooked through and browned, about 6 minutes. Add the edamame and bell pepper and sauté until the bell pepper is cooked through yet still firm, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the sauce and sauté until slightly thickened and vegetables are fully coated, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving platter or bowl, sprinkle with the scallions and sesame seeds, and serve.
Per serving: 240 calories, 12g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 360mg sodium, 24g total carbohydrate, 9g dietary fiber, 11g sugars, 10g protein
- Serving Size: 1 rounded cup