(Click on photo for full-size image!)
Makes 6 servings: 1 1/3 cups each
Butternut squash is one of my favorite veggies to enjoy during the holidays, especially when roasted. How about you? And when roasted and pureed into a soup, it’s divinely comforting. I’ll be enjoying this creamy vegetarian-friendly soup often. I hope to hear you slurping up its sweet and savory goodness often, too. Happy holidays!
Calories saved: 90
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, diced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
1 (32-fluid ounce) carton low-sodium vegetable broth
1 3/4 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 cups butternut squash cubes (2 pounds; about 1 1/2-inch pieces)
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, or extra-virgin olive oil
12 fluid ounces fat-free evaporated milk*
- Preheat the oven to 400ᵒF.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the squash cubes with the butter until coated. Spritz a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange the squash cubes in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast until well softened and lightly caramelized, about 50 minutes.
- Transfer the cubes to the simmering onion broth and puree using an immersion blender. Alternatively, puree in a blender, in batches, using the hot fill line as a guide. Stir in the evaporated milk and return to a simmer. Adjust seasoning, and serve.
Per serving: 170 calories, 4.5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol., 860mg sodium, 27g total carbohydrate, 5g dietary fiber, 14g sugars, 6g protein
*For a vegan version, use the olive oil instead of butter when roasting the squash and drizzle in coconut milk to taste in place of the evaporated milk.
The “Before” Recipe
creamy squash soup
Adapted from recipe at FoodNetwork.com.
Per serving: 260 calories, 13g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 1460mg sodium, 37g total carbohydrate, 6g dietary fiber, 9g sugars, 5g protein
- Roast butternut squash for taste depth
- Use sweet onion to enhance sweetness
- Add fresh ginger for flavor intrigue
- Try evaporated milk for creaminess without artery-clogging heaviness
- Portion soup just right