- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 pound butternut squash cubes (about 30 cubes)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.*
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the sage, vinegar, salt, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add the butternut squash cubes and toss to combine. Arrange the squash cubes in a single layer on an unbleached parchment paper-lined large baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven until cooked through and lightly browned, about 30 minutes, flipping each squash cube over halfway through the roasting process. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Arrange the roasted butternut squash cubes onto six (6- to 8-inch) skewers. Lightly brush with the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil, sprinkle with the black pepper, and serve while warm.
*If you prefer richer caramelization (browning), roast at 450°F.
Per serving: 70 calories, 5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 7g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 1g sugars, 1g protein
[Hint: Wanna serve these skewers with a dip? These are delicious with fresh chive dip: Stir together 1 ounce soft goat cheese, 1/4 cup plain 0% fat Greek yogurt, 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives, and pinch of sea salt. Or, better yet, try with a natural vegan party dip.]
- Serving Size: 1 skewer