I’ve been busy, busy, busy lately. I’m sure you can relate. I know for some folks that might mean getting take-out. For me, it means lots of hummus bowls. Basically, that’s hummus topped with whatever you have on hand that you think might taste good with hummus! I always call this concept a “bowl,” but I’ll serve it on a plate if I don’t have that much to top it with. This seasonal cherry tomato hummus bowl is one of those such “bowls” … and a super easy one at that.
Here, I simply topped hummus with sliced cherry tomatoes, fresh parsley leaves, pan-toasted pine nuts, and a drizzling of extra-virgin olive oil. I scoop up all of the Mediterranean-style scrumptiousness with pan-grilled whole grain pita wedges. By the way, even if super busy, I still like to whip up my own hummus … it only takes a few extra minutes, after all. Check out my recipe below for that, too. Yum!
seasonal cherry tomato hummus bowl
Yield: 1 serving
Serving size: 1 bowl
- ¾ cup classic hummus (see recipe below) or your favorite hummus
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts, pan-toasted
- Spread the hummus onto a flat-rimmed bowl or luncheon-sized plate.
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes on top. Drizzle everything with the olive oil. If desired, sprinkle the tomatoes with a pinch of sea salt.
- Garnish with the parsley leaves and pine nuts.
- Enjoy with pan-grilled whole grain pita wedges or crisp flatbread of choice.
Per serving: 490 calories, 33g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 39g total carbohydrate, 11g dietary fiber, 8g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 17g protein
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic no-salt-added chickpeas, drained
- 1/3 cup tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons cold unsweetened jasmine green tea or water, or to desired consistency
- 1 or 2 large garlic cloves
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
Add all ingredients to a blender container. Cover and puree for at least 2 minutes on high speed. Makes about 1¾ cups.