This is how I like to start my Saturdays … with a comforting bowl of savory oatmeal. And this one is loaded with goodness (hello anti-inflammatory ingredients!). It has a few steps … but you can quickly cook up the “tofu” and tart cherry reduction while the oatmeal is simmering. So, it’s simpler than it may seem.
The “tofu” I used here was one that I recently picked up at Orchard Grocer in Manhattan—it’s called Pumfu and it’s made with just organic pumpkin seeds and filtered water. No soy. Cool, huh!? I don’t know how they do it, but it totally works like traditional tofu—with a pumpkin seed scrumptiousness and hint of natural greenness. I’m a fan. Though it’s calorie-rich (4 ounces has 320 calories, if that’s an issue for you) … meaning I wouldn’t try eating the entire block at one sitting.
I pump up the flavor of the “tofu” with turmeric and black pepper and sauté cubes of it to adorn this savory oatmeal. And that’s not all, the oatmeal is filled with leafy greens. And there are more toppings, including a roasted tart cherry juice reduction which adds a balancing depth of flavor (yep, a desirable tartness!) and color. Hope you try this bowl of yumminess very soon.
savory oatmeal with greens, pumpkin seed “tofu” & tart cherry reduction
Yield: 1 serving
Serving size: 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup dry steel-cut oats
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon shelled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
- 3 ounces fresh baby spinach or baby kale
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 recipe Pan-Browned Turmeric Pumpkin Seed “Tofu” (see recipe below)
- 1 recipe Tart Cherry Juice Reduction (see recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon roasted, salted pumpkin or sunflower seed kernels
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves with stems
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, fully eat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook while stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the oats, broth, and hemp seeds and being to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until oats are just cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach or kale and salt and stir until just wilted, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a bowl. Top with the Pan-Browned Turmeric Pumpkin Seed “Tofu.” Drizzle with the Tart Cherry Juice Reduction. Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds and cilantro and serve.
pan-browned turmeric pumpkin seed “tofu”
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 3 ounces pumpkin seed “tofu” (i.e. Pumfu) or organic firm or extra-firm tofu of choice, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Fully heat the avocado oil in a cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, toss together the tofu, turmeric, black pepper, and salt, add to the skillet, and stir occasionally until well-browned on most sides, about 5 minutes.
- Ideally serve while warm over savory oatmeal or recipe of choice. Makes about 2/3 cup tofu cubes.
tart cherry juice reduction
- ¼ cup 100% tart cherry juice not from concentrate
- Add the juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook while stirring occasionally until the juice is reduced to about 1 tablespoon, about 9 minutes. (Hint: Watch the reduction closely after minute 7.)
- Transfer the reduction to a heat-proof measuring cup. Let stand for a few minutes. Drizzle onto savory oatmeal or recipe of choice. Makes about 1 tablespoon.