One food that I seem to have no problem finding these days is potatoes. How about you? As a potato lover, I’m so cool with this! But I wanted to add some excitement to my usual potato preparations of mashed potatoes, hash browns, and roasted potatoes. That’s how these potato salad skewers with herbal pesto topping were born.
I decided to do a twist on potato salad. So, I opted for roasted potato salad. And I figure that anything served on a stick somehow just seems to taste better. So, I inserted all of the roasted potato cubes on skewers. And I wanted something other than a traditional goopy dressing. So, I livened these skewers up with a pesto-y topping. The result is delicious!
If you find that you’re missing ingredients, this recipe is pretty versatile. You can try sweet potatoes in place of the Yukon golds. Swap the nuts. And experiment with various herbs, like cilantro, dill, or chives. You can also just take a shortcut and make a “pantry pesto dressing” in place of the Herbal Pesto Topping. Simply stir together 1/3 cup jarred pesto with 2 tablespoons mayo of choice and slather onto the skewers.
Do double this recipe if you’re hunkering down with a big family or big appetites—or if you’re planning to have a post-pandemic party (hopefully that’ll be happening at some point this summer-ish?). In the meantime, please stay healthy and safe!
- 2 large (10- to 11-ounces each) Yukon gold potatoes or sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 recipe Herbal Pesto Topping (see recipe below)
- 3 tablespoons pan-toasted walnut pieces or roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. In a large bowl, toss the potato cubes with the olive oil and salt. Arrange in a single later on the baking sheet. Roast the potato cubes until browned and just tender, about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through roasting. Set aside to cool. Or chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Prepare Herbal Pesto Topping (see recipe below).
- Arrange the chilled roasted potato cubes onto 8 (8-inch) skewers. Top with the Herbal Pesto Topping. Garnish with the nuts. Adjust seasoning. And serve.
Per serving: 340 calories, 25g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 380 mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 1g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 5g protein
HERBAL PESTO TOPPING:
1/3 cup pan-toasted walnut pieces or roasted pistachios + ¼ cup packed fresh basil leaves + ¼ cup packed fresh mint leaves + 1 large garlic clove, chopped + 1 teaspoon lemon juice + ¼ teaspoon sea salt + 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil + 2 tablespoons organic mayonnaise (vegan or regular)
In a food processor, puree all ingredients until well combined. Chill until ready to serve. (Makes about ½ cup.)