This pasta salad is full of flavor thanks to the fresh pesto and bursting grilled grape tomatoes. And it’s fit for nearly everyone’s palate. Have fun!
- 8 ounces tri-color grape tomatoes (about 24)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces dry whole grain rotini or farfalle
- 1/3 cup fresh vegan basil pesto (see below) or pesto of choice
- 1½ cups packed fresh baby arugula (1½ ounces)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, pan-toasted
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat a grill or grill-pan. Insert grape tomatoes onto skewers. Brush with the olive oil. Grill over direct medium-high heat until rich grill marks form, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil pasta per package directions (ideally in salted water), about 10 minutes. Drain, toss with ice cubes to cool, then drain again.
- Toss the cooled pasta with the pesto. Then toss with the arugula, grilled grape tomatoes, sea salt, and pine nuts. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with the lemon wedges.
FRESH VEGAN BASIL PESTO: 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves · 1/2 cup pan-toasted pine nuts or shelled roasted pistachios · 2 to 3 large chopped garlic cloves · zest of 1 small lemon · 2 teaspoons lemon juice · 1/4 teaspoon sea salt · 1/8 teaspoon each crushed red pepper flakes and smoked paprika · 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil | In a food processor, pulse all ingredients except olive oil until finely chopped. Then drizzle in olive oil and puree until desired consistency. Makes 1 cup. Freeze extra pesto for later use.
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 3g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 210mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: pasta salad, pasta, salad, pesto, pesto pasta, pesto pasta salad, grilled tomatoes, cookout food, picnic food