Meet my multi-tasking pistachio pesto hummus spread. You’ll love that you can indulge in this plant-based condiment in three (or more!) ways. First, the recipe makes a delectable match for a sandwich in place of mayo. Second, it’s tasty as an inspired “hummus” paired with cherry tomatoes, sweet bell pepper strips, or practically any seasonal veggie. And third, it’s a colorful, creamy base for a pasta sauce. The pistachios (try Wonderful Roasted & Salted No-Shells Pistachios!) provide unique flavor and color interest. And the finishing drizzle of roasted pistachio oil enhances the nutty flavor profile. Enjoy it often!
pistachio pesto hummus spread
Makes 8 servings: 1/4 cup each
- 1 cup loosely-packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup roasted & salted no-shells pistachios
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- Juice of 1 large lemon (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened green tea, chilled
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons roasted pistachio oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor. Cover and puree until velvety smooth, about 3 minutes. If necessary, add green tea by the teaspoon for a looser consistency.
- Adjust seasoning. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Per serving: 130 calories, 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 12g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 1g sugars, 4g protein