There’s no such thing as too much basil because … pesto! More specifically, this nuts & seeds plant-based pesto! While I always feel strangely guilty about pulling off so many basil leaves from my plants, leaving them rather naked, I never feel guilty when diving into a dollop (or four!) of freshly prepared pesto. I make it sooo many different ways—and make it really, really, really often in the summer, if you didn’t already know that about me! But, this 100% plant-based pesto is definitely one of my newest favorite versions. Enjoy it on anything … or just plain pasta!
What’s that in the photo above, you ask? It’s casarecce pasta tossed lightly with this pesto and tossed not-so-lightly with pan-charred green veggies (I used broccoli, broccolini, zucchini, and snap peas). It’s then sprinkled with shelled hemp seeds, crushed red pepper flakes, and some small basil leaves. Yum it was!
- 1.5 ounces fresh basil leaves (about 2 cups)
- ¼ cup pine nuts, pan-toasted
- ¼ cup shelled, roasted, unsalted pistachios
- ¼ cup shelled hemp seeds
- 2 large garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 small lemon* (2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients to a blender and puree.
- Adjust seasonings.
- That’s it!
Per serving: 160 calories, 16g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 2g total carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 1g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 3g protein
*For a lemony twist, grate the peel before juicing the lemon and add desired amount of the zest to taste.