- 8 ounces (227 grams) organic tempeh, cut into 24 pieces
- 1 1/3 cups (315 milliliters) low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari (soy sauce) or coconut aminos, divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar or agave nectar, divided
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced divided
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot, divided
- 2 tablespoon natural hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or avocado oil, divided
- 2/3 cup (60 grams) extra-thinly sliced broccoli stems and any leaves
- 2 cups packed (150 grams) small broccoli florets
- Serving suggestion: brown rice, toasted sesame seeds, grated mandarin orange zest
- In a large saucepan, add the tempeh, 1 cup (237 milliliters) of the broth, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the tamari, 1 tablespoon of the coconut nectar, half of the garlic, and half of the ginger and bring just to a boil over high heat. Then cover, reduce heat to low, and poach until the tempeh is tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the tempeh and remaining broth to a bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup (78 milliliters) vegetable broth, 1 tablespoon tamari, and 1 tablespoon coconut nectar, the hoisin sauce, cornstarch, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes; set aside.
- In a large cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet, fully heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sunflower oil over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli stems and sauté until just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and sauté until the florets are just tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. If desired, add a pinch of sea salt. Transfer to a bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sunflower oil in the hot skillet over medium-high heat. Add the poached tempeh with poaching liquid from step #1 and cook while stirring until the liquid is reduced to approximately 2 tablespoons, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining garlic and ginger and cook while stirring until no liquid remains, about 1 minute. Add the broth mixture (slurry) from step #2, turn off heat, and cook while quickly stirring in the hot skillet until the sauce is desired thickness, about 1 minute.
- Serve the tempeh paired with the broccoli florets and stems. If desired, serve with brown rice and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and grated mandarin orange zest. Or for a citrusy twist, squeeze fresh mandarin orange juice over everything.
Per serving (without rice): 500 calories, 18g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1290mg sodium*, 59g total carbohydrate, 13g dietary fiber, 23g total sugars includes 15g added sugars, 29g protein
*Note: Use less tamari and hoisin sauces to reduce sodium.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl (about 1 cup tempeh & 1 cup broccoli each)