- 4 large eggs or plant-based egg alternative
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh pico de gallo or fresh chunky salsa (not from jar), well drained*
- 2 1/2 ounces organic tortilla chips, sea salt or jalapeno flavor, slightly broken
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or plant-based alternative
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced or cubed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice + 4 lime wedges
- Whisk together the eggs, 3 tablespoons cold water, half of the cilantro, and the salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil in a large (PFOA-free) nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the beans and pico de gallo and cook while stirring until the beans are fully heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the skillet. Add the egg mixture and cook while stirring until the eggs are softly scrambled, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the chips and cook while gently stirring until the eggs are done and chips are softened, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the bean mixture and cook while stirring to combine, about 30 seconds. Immediately sprinkle with the cheese and the remaining cilantro.
- Transfer to individual bowls (or cute little iron skillets!). Top with the avocado, sprinkle with the lime juice, and serve with the lime wedges.
Per serving: 360 calories, 18g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 195mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 36g total carbohydrate, 8g dietary fiber, 9g sugars, 15g protein
*To make your own pico de gallo, combine about 7/8 cup finely diced tomato (without pulp/seeds), 2 to 3 tablespoons finely diced red onion, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon sea salt and, if desired, minced jalapeno to taste.
**You can switch it up by skipping the tortilla chips and then wrapping each serving in a tortilla to create breakfast tacos or burritos!
- Serving Size: 1 rounded cup
Lately I have been really into Huevos Rancheros when we go out for brunch on the weekends. I like to think they’re not as caloric as they are, but who am I kidding?! Love your makeover, especially using the Udi’s chips!
Hi Jessica! So glad you like the makeover! Hope you try it! 🙂
I’ve made this several times now, and each time I’ve thought, “Why did I never think to add chips to my egg scrambles??”
So simple, yet it had to be pointed out to me! It’s a very tasty twist for a breakfast scramble. Next time I’ll get some flavored chips to add a different flavor profile. Thank you for the recipe.
I’m so glad you’re enjoying the recipe and planning to give it your own twist! Jackie