It’s the time of year for showers, picnics, and other fun gatherings. So, this is also the time of year I create a new salad to serve for these joyful occasions. So, what’s in my new salad? Well, it’s a farro salad. But it’s way beyond just that. It’s full of refreshing ingredients, intriguing textures, lots of nutrition, and pops of color. It’s totally not one of those salad afterthoughts … it’ll be the star of the plate!
First, make in advance the farro or any whole grain you like (maybe freekeh or bulgur) and chill it. Grill or pan-grill in advance the zucchini or other seasonal vegetable you like (perhaps asparagus or bell peppers) and chill it, too. Then the day of the party, whip up the rest of this recipe in less than 15 minutes!
You’ll adore the citrusy aroma thanks to lemon juice and lemon zest. If you’ve got basil and mint on hand, use them both. The avocado adds a scrumptious hint of creaminess. And pine nuts or pistachios offer crunch to complete this 100% plant-based salad.
Hope you and everyone you serve this to loves it! Though, if there’s no gathering to cook for, you can totally make this just for yourself for a Meatless Monday fix—then enjoy it over the next few days!
Note: The Recipe Redux theme this month: “Shower Season.”
lemony herb farro salad with avocado & grilled zucchini
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons juice), divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked farro, freekeh, or other whole grain, chilled
- 3 cups packed fresh baby arugula
- 1½ cups diced grilled or pan-grilled zucchini or other seasonal veggie, chilled
- 1 cup thinly sliced cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup packed thinly sliced fresh basil or mixture of basil and mint
- 1 large Hass avocado, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup pan-toasted pine nuts or roasted pistachios
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, the lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Stir in the farro, arugula, zucchini, tomatoes, scallions, and basil.
- In a small bowl, gently stir together the avocado and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Gently stir into the farro salad. Adjust seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with the nuts, and serve.
Per serving: 170 calories, 11g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 18g total carbohydrate, 5g dietary fiber, 2g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 4g protein