- 1 large (1 1/4 pound) eggplant, cut into 12 rounds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 recipe Jackie’s Greek Gyro Seasoning (see below)
- 1 1/3 cups plain fat-free Greek yogurt or vegan alternative
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely diced unpeeled English cucumber
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 4 whole grain pocketless pitas, lightly grilled
- 2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat a grill or grill pan. Very lightly brush both sides of the eggplant rounds with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season one side of the eggplant rounds with the gyro seasoning. Grill eggplant (seasoned side up first) over direct medium-high heat until cooked through and rich grill marks form, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, make the tzatziki sauce by adding the yogurt, lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper to a medium bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine. (Hint: The thicker the yogurt, the better!) Add the cucumber, garlic, mint, and dill and stir to evenly combine. Adjust seasoning. (Makes 1 2/3 cups tzatziki.)*
- Top each pita with about 3 tablespoons each tzatziki. Arrange the grilled eggplant on the pita. Top with tomatoes and onion and fold. Serve with remaining tzatziki on the side. If desired, garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Per serving (based on 2.25oz pitas): 360 calories, 13g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol., 900mg sodium, 54g total carbohydrate, 9g dietary fiber, 9g sugars, 15g protein
(NOTE: if using 3 oz. pitas = 420 calories, 13g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 990mg sodium, 65g total carbohydrate, 10g dietary fiber, 9g sugars, 17g protein)
JACKIE’S GREEK GYRO SEASONING: Mix together 3/4 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano leaves, and 1/4 teaspoon each dried dill, crushed dried rosemary, and cayenne pepper. Makes 1 recipe (4 servings).
Hint: Make in advance and store in sealed, labeled jar. To make a milder version of this seasoning, replace the 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
*If desired, these gyros can be drizzled with a tahini dressing in place of tzatziki: Whisk together 1/3 cup each tahini and unsweetened green tea, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 2 minced garlic cloves, and pinch of ground cumin.
- Serving Size: 1 gyro