1,000 low-calorie recipes
About the Book
It’s like getting 5 cookbooks in 1!
1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes by Jackie Newgent, RD (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012) features great-tasting “real” cuisine under 500 calories. (And most recipes provide less than 300 calories a serving!) The exciting compendium can be considered a dieter’s recipe “bible.” It will support weight loss books and programs as a recipe resource. And it’s equally ideal for anyone desiring a fit lifestyle—even when weight loss is not a goal. How is this different than other low-calorie cookbooks? Deliciousness is its most important feature.
As a natural culinary nutritionist, Jackie’s philosophy is that if you prepare a nutritious recipe that’s tasteless or otherwise unsatisfying, chances are you’ll probably not make it again. She wants you to desire these recipes again and again—to best help you stay fit and manage weight in the long run, not just for the time being. She wants you to be able to serve these dishes to everyone. You can and should expect your food to be enjoyable even when—and perhaps especially when—eating healthfully.
In addition to being high-flavored, the enticing dishes within 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes focus on filling ingredients with a contemporary edge. And they’re simple to follow. The recipes are not specifically low in fat or low in sodium … just cleverly lower in calories than you otherwise might expect. Jackie prefers to call it “calorie friendly!” The health strategy is about adding nutritional richness. This is accomplished mainly by boosting plant foods—fresh, vibrant, colorful, appealing plant foods. The result is: mouth-watering cuisine … naturally.
Whether trying to manage weight or follow a healthier lifestyle, 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes is a must-have. What better way to stay inspired to eat well than to have a seemingly endless supply of recipes? You, your family, and your friends will savor this inviting cookbook that … at the end of the day … is essentially about simply good cooking. The dishes will have appeal to your tastebuds and waistline for years to come.
In the Media!
- April 2013: 2013 Beach Body Diet Plan (SHAPE)
- March 2013: 10 Healthy Pizza Recipes (Shape.com)
- Feb 2013: Q&A with Jackie Newgent, Author of 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes (Food Network’s Healthy Eats)
- Jan 2013: 12 Brand New Ways to Eat Hummus (Shape.com)
- Dec 2012: Cocoa Done Light (SHAPE)
- Dec 2012: Diet Detective’s Holiday Gift Guide 2012 (WBAY ABC 2)
- Dec 2012: Holiday Delights that are Good for You, Too (Daily Health News)
- Nov 2012: Eat Well All Month (Everyday Food)
- Nov 2012: Nutritious (but Mouthwatering!) Thanksgiving Recipes (Daily Health News)
- Nov 2012: Season’s Eatings: Holiday Fare the Healthy Way (MedHelp)
- Oct 2012: 10 Flavor-Packed Fall Smoothies (fitbie)
- Oct 2012: 50 Things We Learned at FNCE (foodandhealth.communications)
- Sept 2012: Metabolism-Boosting Diet Plan (Health magazine)
- Jan 2013: Good Reads and Eats for 2013 (50plusPlusFit)
- Nov 2012: Book Review: 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes (Healthline.com)
Giveaways of 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes
Here’s a sneak peek at at a few of my recipes from 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes!
Enjoy your cocktail in your food: Bloody Mary-Infused Salad
Have a ball … or several of them: “Swedish” Meatballs.
Savor a bowl of comfort: Creamy Seasonal Vegetable Korma.
Sip on one a super velvety smoothies: Banana-Nut Smoothie.
Try my go-to recipe: Asian Angel Hair with “Confetti”.
And to further whet your appetite, check out some favorites captured in photos.
Enjoy browsing through these selected photos of dishes within 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes. They’re simply close-ups that Jackie shot during recipe testing.
Attention Media: If you would like to use any of the photos for media purposes, please include the photo credit: Jackie Newgent, RD. For the original JPG of a photo, please send your request to email@example.com.
For The Press
Publicist: Claire Holzman, Claire.Holzman@hmhpub.com, 201-748-5627
For more information from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, click here.
An unmatched collection of delicious calorie-friendly recipes from the award-winning 1,000 Recipes series
If you’re looking for artificial sweeteners, fake fat-free replacers, itty-bitty portion sizes, and bland bites, you’ve come to the wrong place! You’ll find none of that here. This incredible cookbook is packed with tasty, calorie-friendly recipes that the whole family will love. The recipes cover every meal of the day and give home cooks an unparalleled variety of meals and ideas for eating healthfully—for a lifetime. Every recipe clocks in at less than 500 calories, but most are no more than 300 calories per serving. They’re easy to make and take the guesswork out of portion sizing and calorie counting. Recipes include complete nutrition information, and full menus help anyone maintain a balanced eating approach—naturally.
1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes covers finger foods and snacks; salads and soups; meat, poultry, fish, and vegetarian entrees; sides and muffins; and yes, even desserts and cocktails. You’ll find rustic comfort foods like Five-Spice Turkey Chili, favorites like Pizza Margherita, main courses like Tart Apple-Stuffed Pork Loin, plus innovative recipes that will intrigue and satisfy you, like Caprese Salad Lasagna, Pomegranate and Citrus Quinoa Pilaf, Five-Spice Yam Frites, Brooklyn Lager Baked Beans, Homemade Pretzel Puffs, Fudgy Superfood Brownies, and Middle Eastern Bloody Mary.
- Written by Jackie Newgent, a well-respected registered dietitian, classically-trained chef, and cookbook author who writes for and is interviewed by national media, such as The Dr. Oz Show, Cooking Light, Health, and Redbook, among others
- Includes clever advice: Find out Jackie Newgent’s “delightful dozen” nutrient-full, calorie-friendly foods; try out tried-and-true (and many brand new!) healthy weight strategies; see what ingredients and cooking tools you need to stock your kitchen with; learn how to creatively make-over your own recipes; follow good-for-you menus for every season—and every taste preference; plus, be the first to put into practice Jackie’s savory, sweet, and savvy 21 flavor-boosting, calorie-reducing hints!
- Features ingredients that are fresh and flavorful, keeping with Jackie Newgent’s “real foods” philosophy: nothing is artificial
- Most recipes contain veggies or fruits–some in starring roles and others in unique ways (yes, even in desserts and cocktails!)–so there’s no problem meeting personal produce goals with this cookbook in tow
Whether following a particular diet or desiring a single go-to guide for nutritious meals, 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes is the ultimate resource.
“I,000 Low-Calorie Recipes is about ‘real’ calorie-conscious cuisine as nature–and your tastebuds–really intended.” ~Jackie Newgent, RD