Move over traditional hummus! This new twist on the dip uses white beans to allow all flavors to shine through. It’s prettier thanks to beets! (Hint: It’s okay to use the pre-packaged type to save time.) And it’s nutritiously intriguing thanks to poached pistachios, made simply by simmering shelled pistachios in water for 20 minutes. Pair with sliced cucumbers, jicama, or whole grain pita chips. Enjoy as a sandwich condiment, too.
Calories saved: 34
Why it’s better for you? Both traditional hummus and this version are good for you. What’s interesting about this recipe is that you’ll get lutein and zeaxanthin from the pistachios and betalain from the beets!
Disclosure: I developed this recipe for Wonderful Pistachios as part of an educational toolkit. The recipe is meant for sharing. Please share as you like! #client #ad @GetCrackin
- 3/4 cup Wonderful Pistachios No Salt or Lightly Salted Shelled, divided
- 8 ounces cooked peeled beets, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons juice)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons roasted pistachio oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of the pistachios and 3 cups cold water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered until the pistachios are softened (poached), about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Add the poached pistachios, beets, beans, lemon juice and zest, garlic, salt, and cumin to a blender. Cover and puree until velvety smooth, at least 3 minutes on high speed, scraping down sides as needed. Adjust seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving platter or bowl, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup pistachios, and serve.
110 calories, 5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 11g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 3g sugars, 0g added sugars, 4g protein
The “Before” Version
Compare to classic hummus
Per serving: 144 calories, 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 13g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 0g sugars, 0g added sugars, 3g protein
- Create a festive color by pureeing beets into hummus or other dip.
- Add unique nuttiness for a change of taste by using poached pistachios in place of tahini.
- Play up freshness and liveliness by using lemon zest, not just lemon juice.