You don’t need burgers for the barbecue … cook up this Grilled Mediterranean Avocado Toast. And you don’t need to wait for the afternoon for a cookout … grill this glammed up toast for breakfast or brunch. Grilling the avocado, bread, and tomatoes adds delightful smokiness to this recipe. Adding ground coriander or cumin creates earthy interest in the mashed avocado. Topping this with any protein pick you wish makes this a versatile and very personal meal. I went with a plant-based breakfast sausage here. Chickpeas or edamame work well, too. And finishing with pine nuts, black sesame seeds, and fresh basil creates bonus yumminess. Now, go get your grill on (even if it’s simply a grill-pan on the stovetop)!
- 8 grape tomatoes
- ½ large Hass avocado, in peel without seed
- 1 large slice whole grain sourdough bread
- 1½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 protein pick, such as plant-based breakfast sausage, chickpeas, or edamame
- 2 lemon wedges, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander or cumin (or try both!)
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts, pan-toasted or raw
- 2 tablespoons small fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon black sesame seeds (optional)
- Fully preheat a grill or grill-pan over medium-high heat. Insert grape tomatoes onto two (6- to 8-inch) bamboo or reusable skewers. Lightly brush the tomatoes, avocado half, and bread slice with the olive oil.
- Grill the tomato skewers, avocado, and bread until rich grill marks form, about 3 minutes for the avocado (cut side only) and 5 minutes total for the tomatoes and bread. Remove from the grill.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with a pinch of the salt and slightly smash with a fork.
- Prepare your protein pick.
- Meanwhile, remove avocado peel. With a fork, mash together the avocado, juice from 1 lemon wedge, ground coriander, and remaining pinch of salt; spread onto the grilled toast.
- Top the avocado toast with your protein pick, smashed tomatoes, pine nuts, basil leaves and, if desired, sesame seeds. Serve with remaining lemon wedge and enjoy!
Per serving: 450 calories, 31g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 37g total carbohydrate, 8g dietary fiber, 4g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 15g protein