A roast doesn’t have to be made with meat … especially when you’ve got an eggplant roast with tahini sauce on your plate! This 100% plant-based roast is inspired by the concept of a meaty roast as well as the eggplant dip, baba ghanoush. The result is basically deconstructed baba ghanoush! But it looks and acts as a roast that you carve. How’s that for a vegan dish with wow!
- 1 large (1 1/4-pound/567-gram) eggplant
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons) + extra lemon wedges (divided)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced or creamed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (divided)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 handfuls fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves or microgreens
- 12 grape tomatoes, fresh or pan-charred
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, pan-toasted
- Grill or broil eggplant, turning occasionally, until the skin is just lightly charred, about 6 minutes. Then bake uncovered in 450 degrees F/230 degrees C oven until the eggplant is fully cooked and has an extra-soft texture, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together until creamy the tahini, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, the cumin, and cold filtered water (about 1 tablespoon) until desired saucy consistency is reached.
- Transfer the eggplant to a small platter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste. Top with desired amount of the tahini sauce. Garnish with the parsley or microgreens, tomatoes, and pine nuts. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve warm with the remaining tahini sauce and lemon wedges on the side.
- Serving Size: 1/2 roast
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 12g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 620mg
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: eggplant, eggplant roast, middle eastern entree, plant-based entree, plant-based main dish, plant-based holiday entree, plant-based