- 3/4 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
- 1/3 cup tahini
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons juice)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring rinsed lentils and 3½ cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender (or smashable by fork), about 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Add the cooked drained lentils (while warm), tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, cumin, cayenne, and half of the lemon zest..Cover and puree on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. (Note: Hummus will thicken as it cools.) Serve with remaining lemon zest.
Per serving: 130 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0g cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 14g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 0g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 6g protein
- Serving Size: ¼ cup