The holiday season provides an excellent excuse for me to create a new salad recipe – which is how this 100% plant-based, roasted sweet potato salad with pomegranate arils came to be. I wanted to make it special while not being overly time-consuming (since there are sooo many other holiday dishes to prepare, of course). The result: A salad full of vibrant, holiday-friendly colors and plenty of texture to make it a standout. And by roasting sweet potato cubes in advance, the rest of the salad is a piece of cake!
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh baby arugula (43 grams)
- 1 handful small fresh mint leaves
- 1 rounded cup roasted sweet potato cubes, warm or room temperature* (150 grams)
- Pinch of sumac or cayenne
Creamy Pomegranate Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon 100% pomegranate or other fruit juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Add the SALAD ingredients to a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the CREAMY POMEGRANATE DRESSING. (If you prefer more of a vinaigrette-style dressing, simply whisk in more pomegranate or lemon juice by the 1/2 teaspoon.) Drizzle desired amount onto the salad; serve any remaining dressing on the side.
- Sprinkle with the TOPPINGS, and serve.
*To roast sweet potato cubes: Preheat oven to 450°F. Cut sweet potatoes into 1-inch (2.5-centimeter) cubes. Toss with extra-virgin olive oil and sea salt (be generous with both!) and arrange in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until caramelized as desired, about 35 minutes, stirring halfway through roasting. You can make these up to 3 days in advance and chill.
- Serving Size: 1 side salad (about 1 1/2 cups each)
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 19g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 270mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: salad, plant-based salad, roasted sweet potatoes, vegan salad, holiday salad, holiday salad recipe, thanksgiving salad, christmas salad