While these plant-based chickpea eggs look like scrambled eggs, they’re flavorful, filling, and totally vegan!
- 1 (15.5-ounce/439-gram) can no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup (125 grams) frozen corn, thawed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup (10 grams) microgreens of choice or small fresh basil leaves
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving 1/4 cup (59 milliliters) of the liquid from the can.
- To a medium bowl, add the drained chickpeas and 1/4 cup (59 milliliters) chickpea liquid, the nutritional yeast, turmeric powder, sea salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Smash and stir with a fork until the mixture is evenly combined and slightly lumpy. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn and sauté until it begins to brown and pop, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the smashed chickpea mixture and sauté until the mixture is “scrambled” and lightly browned, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the microgreens and serve. Delicious paired with plant-based portabella bacon strips (see recipe HERE).
- Serving Size: about 2/3 cup (120 grams) chickpea eggs
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 4g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 410mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: chickpeas, garbanzo beans, pulses, eggs, breakfast, plant-based eggs