- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or sunflower oil, or to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, chilled
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen organic corn
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper (about 1/2 bell pepper)
- 1/2 cup canned, drained pinto beans*
- Few pinches of spices, such as ground coriander, cumin, and chili powder
- 1/2 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (juice of 1/2 lime)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Optional garnishes: guacamole, sliced red hot pepper, cilantro leaves
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet over medium-high. Add the rice and sauté until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the corn, bell pepper, pinto beans, and spices and sauté until the rice and veggies are caramelized (browned), about 9 to 10 minutes, drizzling in a little more oil to prevent sticking, if need.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and sea salt and stir until heated through, about 30 seconds.
- Garnish with guacamole, hot pepper, and cilantro leaves, if desired, and serve immediately from the skillet. Or keep garnishes separate, chill the meal, then reheat and garnish for a quick lunch or dinner.
*Reserve remaining pinto beans from can for later use, such as in tacos, burritos, or salad—or to make this recipe again!
- Category: One-Dish Meal
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 skillet (about 2 1/2 cups)
- Calories: 580
- Sugar: 7g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 790mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 98g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: mexican, rice, beans, skillet meal, plant-based, vegan, vegetarian, fried rice