- 2 medium (8-ounce/225-gram) zucchinis, coarsely grated (about 2 1/4 cups packed/440 grams grated)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 1/3 cup (78.5 milliliters) water (or zucchini juices from step #2)
- 1/4 cup packed (13 grams) minced fresh chives
- 8 large fresh mint leaves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup (92 grams) whole-wheat pastry flour or chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the grated zucchini and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside for about 15 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together the chia seeds and water. Set aside for 15 to 30 minutes to create a “gel.”
- Then squeeze zucchini by hand, roll up in a clean kitchen towel, and tightly squeeze to remove excess juices.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the zucchini, chia gel, chives, mint, black pepper, cayenne, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir to evenly combine. Together, add the flour and baking powder to the zucchini mixture and stir to evenly combine.
- Using a large cookie scoop or your hands, form 12 mounds/balls zucchini fritter batter, about 2 rounded tablespoons (41 grams) each onto an unbleached parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Fully heat the oil in a large (12-inch) cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. In two batches, add fritter mounds/balls to the skillet, quickly pressing into patties (about 2 1/2-inch/6.35-cm diameter) with a spatula after each addition. Fry undisturbed until fritters are browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cooling rack set on a large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining zucchini mixture. Serve warm.
- Enjoy as is–or pair with a topping, dipping sauce, and garnishes of choice.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 fritters
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 2g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 390mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: zucchini, fritters, plant-based, vegetarian, vegan