I was fortunate to host an amazing dietetic intern (Karsyn Tall) this spring. As part of her internship experience, I asked her to create a seasonal Meatless Monday-friendly recipe. Look at what she created. I hope you enjoy these memorable tofu steaks as much as I do! Here’s what she says:
“Looking for a way to spice up your springtime? You have to try this delicious dish that’ll satisfy your tastebuds with naturally sweet and spicy flavors. It’s the perfect recipe to start the season on the right note. As a bonus, it’s vegan!” ~ Karsyn Tall
grilled tofu steaks with spicy strawberry-ginger glaze
Yield: 3 servings
Serving size: 2 tofu steaks
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm organic tofu
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 shallot, chopped (3 tablespoons)
- 1 small red hot chili pepper, chopped, with or without seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lime (2 tablespoons juice)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Garnishes: Fresh cilantro sprigs, toasted sliced almonds, and fresh or grilled sliced strawberries
- Drain tofu of liquid. Squeeze of excess liquid using a clean kitchen towel or several layers of unbleached paper towels. Cut tofu lengthwise into 6 “steaks” Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot, chili pepper, and ginger and cook while stirring until the shallot is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the strawberries, applesauce, lime juice, and salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the mixture is sauce-like, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add the strawberry mixture to a blender container using the hot fill line as a guide. Cover and puree until velvety smooth, at least 1 minute.
- Prepare and preheat a grill or grill-pan.
- Brush the tofu “steaks” with about 2/3 cup of the strawberry-ginger glaze. Grill the tofu “steaks” until rich grill marks form, about 6 minutes per side. (Note: Grill in batches, if necessary.)
- To serve, sprinkle with desired amount of the lime zest and add salt to taste. Garnish with the cilantro, almonds, and strawberries. Enjoy over brown basmati or jasmine rice. Serve with the remaining strawberry-ginger glaze on the side. Enjoy!
Per serving (without rice): 280 calories, 16g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 21g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 12g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 15g protein
Recipe Variation: Before grilling, cut these tofu steaks into cubes and pop onto skewers along with enticing seasonal veggies, like zucchini or bell peppers!
The “Before” Version
- If you can go plant-based instead of meat-based, go for it!
- For extra sweetness, reach for fruit first, such as unsweetened applesauce, instead of a syrup or other added sugar
- Be generous with delicious garnishes that add aroma and texture, like cilantro and toasted sliced almonds