Nope, cauliflower doesn’t taste like chicken! But if you like teriyaki, do give this high-flavor stir-fry a try. I’ve given chicken teriyaki a vegan makeover by using cauliflower as the hearty highlight. This recipe gets a punch of natural sweetness from pure pineapple juice, a spicy kick from red hot chili pepper, and extra zing from a generous amount of fresh ginger. The only thing missing is some protein. So pair this Meatless Monday-friendly dish with a protein-rich appetizer or side (or both!), such as starting with an edamame app or serving on a bed of my Superfood Basmati Pilaf (see simple recipe below). Then enjoy with chopsticks … often!
Calories Saved: 180
Why it’s better for you? Plenty of plant-based goodness. No added sugar.
teriyaki cauliflower & kale stir-fry
Yield: 3 servings
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
- 2/3 cup 100% pure pineapple juice
- 3 1/2 tablespoons naturally-brewed reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon unrefined sesame oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red hot chili pepper, extra-thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 1/4 pounds large bite-size cauliflower florets
- 1 (5-ounce) package fresh organic baby kale
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- In a large liquid measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the pineapple juice, tamari, sesame oil, garlic, chili pepper, and ginger. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a wok or large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the cauliflower and cook while stirring occasionally until well browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the pineapple juice mixture and cook while stirring occasionally until the sauce reduces (naturally thickens) and coats the cauliflower, about 8 minutes.
- Add the kale, remove from heat, and toss until kale just wilts, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Serving suggestion: Serve the stir-fry over my Superfood Basmati Pilaf (see simple recipe below) or steamed brown rice.
Per serving (without rice): 210 calories, 11g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 900mg sodium, 20g total carbohydrate, 6g dietary fiber, 10g sugars, 8g protein
Per serving (with 1 cup Superfood Basmati Rice): 530 calories, 21g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium 67g total carbohydrate, 11g dietary fiber, 11g sugars, 19g protein
NOTE: To make my Superfood Basmati Pilaf: Combine 3 cups cooked brown basmati rice with 1/3 cup raw shelled hemp seeds, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, 1 tablespoon fresh grated turmeric, and 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice. If desired, add sea salt to taste. Makes about 3 cups.
The “Before” Version
Inspired by easy teriyaki chicken
Per serving (without rice): 390 calories, 20g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 195mg cholesterol., 1070mg sodium, 15g total carbohydrate, 0g dietary fiber, 15g sugars, 36g protein
- Break out of a chicken routine by giving hearty vegetables, such as cauliflower, the starring role of an entrée
- Create a reduction sauce based on 100% real fruit juice—-as the sauce reduces the fruit juice flavors become more concentrated and sweeter—no added sugar (or honey) is required
- Balance saltiness and sweetness while punching up taste by way of notably more fresh ginger as well as the addition of “heat,” such as hot chili pepper
- For bonus flavor, color, and nutrition, pair a stir-fry with a turmeric-accented rice, like my Superfood Basmati Pilaf