Montmorency tart cherries have a delightfully tart taste that I adore. Plus, they’ve got anthocyanins, which are health promoting! Dried tart cherries offer a sweet-tart balance and are tasty as is. But they’re quite versatile in recipes, too. They’re the star of this popcorn snack mix along with pops of lemon zest, fresh rosemary, and pistachios. Enjoy it as an anytime snack—or a fun party app!
tart cherry & popcorn snack mix
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel (zest)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt*
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup un-popped popcorn*
- 1 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- 1/3 cup shelled, salted, roasted pistachios
- In a large (2-quart capacity) bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the oil, the rosemary, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the un-popped popcorn, cover with a tight lid, and let cook while shaking the pan occasionally until the popcorn has nearly stopped popping (about 3 to 4 seconds between pops). Remove from heat, keeping covered, and shake the pan a few times until the popping has completely stopped.
- Immediately pour the popcorn, dried tart cherries, and pistachios into the lemon zest-rosemary mixture. Stir or toss to evenly combine and serve. If not serving immediately, store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
*Hint: If using pre-popped packaged salted popcorn, use 5 cups popped popcorn and skip the salt from this recipe.