If you’re looking for something better than a bagel slathered with a disproportionate amount of cream cheese, you’ve found it … this stuff-by-color bagel sandwich! It’s a full of eye appeal—and a delightful use of produce.
Just pick a color theme, like green or purple. Then select your ingredients based on that color (or rainbow or colors, if you prefer). It’s that simple … and scrumptious!
- 1 large bakery-style bagel, such as pumpernickel “everything” bagel
- 2 to 3 tablespoons plant-based cream cheese or soft treenut cheese (optional)*
- 1/3 cup crisp fresh veggie of choice, such as thinly-sliced English cucumber
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- Pinch of sea salt, to taste
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup soft fresh or cooked veggie (or fruit) of choice, such as sliced avocado
- 1/3 cup grilled or roasted veggie of choice, such as grilled sliced zucchini
- 1 small handful fresh herbs, such as basil and mint
- 1/3 cup leafy salad (greens) of choice, such as microgreens
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cut the bagel in half to form rounds. Scoop out much of the spongy insides to form bagel shells. (Hint: Save bagel scraps for other use, such as making croutons or breadcrumbs.)
- Layer all ingredients into both bagel shells, seasoning as desired.
- Press stuffed halves together to form a sandwich, cut in half, and indulge.
*If using avocado or guacamole, I skip the plant-based cream cheese or soft treenut cheese.
Note: Don’t feel like you need to measure out ingredients. I just put measurements in the recipe for you to use as a guide to get you started. Nutrition info will vary.
Tip: I’ve kept this concept streamlined by using lemon vinaigrette (lemon and olive oil). But you can splash or smear on jazzier (and matchy-matchy) condiments in its place, like green tahini sauce, muhammara, harissa mayo, purple goddess dressing, dijon mustard, and blush wine vinaigrette!
- Serving Size: 1 bagel sandwich
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 7g includes 3g added sugars
- Sodium: 670mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: bagel, sandwich, bagel sandwich, plantbased, stuffbycolor, stuffbycolorbagel, stuffycolorbagelsandwich