You’ll adore this fun and savory version of s’mores. It features cocktail tomatoes that are stuffed with plant-based mozzarella and fresh basil. You’ll toast them up on skewers over an open flame, like they’re marshmallows. And then you’ll enjoy them between grilled baguette slices with olive oil, balsamic glaze, and more fresh basil. It’s still just as much of a treat as desserty s’mores!
- 6 small slices seeded or whole grain baguette
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste, divided
- 3 Campari cocktail tomatoes or extra-large cherry tomatoes
- 6 large fresh basil leaves
- 3 large cubes plant-based fresh mozzarella, such as Miyoko’s Creamery Organic Cashew Milk Mozzarella, cut to fit into cocktail tomatoes
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic balsamic reduction or glaze, or to taste (see tip below)
- Lightly brush both sides of the baguette slices with half (or more) of the olive oil. Grill or pan-grill slices over direct medium-high heat until grill marks form on both sides.
- Cut off tops of the cocktail tomatoes and scoop out insides of the tomatoes, ideally using a grapefruit spoon. (Tip: Reserve tomato pulp for other purpose, such as tossing into a salad or pasta dish.) Stuff each tomato with one basil leaf and one plant-based mozzarella cube. Position tomato tops back on tomatoes. Secure onto metal or water-soaked bamboo skewers. (Note: If using bamboo skewers, make sure they’re soaked with water for at least 30 minutes before use as they can burn easily.)
- Carefully grill the stuffed cocktail tomatoes over an open flame (on a BBQ grill, campfire, or gas burner) like you’re roasting marshmallows.
- Place each flame-grilled stuffed tomato onto a baguette slice. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Drizzle with desired amount of balsamic reduction and remaining olive oil. Top with remaining basil leaves and baguette slices. Remove the skewers and indulge! Serve one as an hors d’oeuvre or as many as three for a large appetizer or even an entrée!
Tip: To make organic balsamic reduction, add 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) organic balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer to desired syrupy consistency (reduced to about 2 to 3 tablespoons), about 8 to 10 minutes. Store in a jar until ready to use. Any remaining balsamic reduction can be stored in the fridge for several weeks.
Cheese swaps: Roll up soft treenut (cashew) cheese into balls and use in place of the vegan mozzarella cubes. And, of course, you can use traditional mozzarella cheese if you’re not a 100% plant-based eater.
- Serving Size: 1 caprese “s’mores” (as individual hors d’oeuvres)
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 2g includes 1g added sugars
- Sodium: 250mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: caprese, s'mores, party app, plant-based appetizer, vegan, grilling, cookout