Need a refreshing poolside, rooftop, patio, or backyard BBQ cocktail? Here you go! It’s basically a super good-for-you green smoothie … but spiked just right! Getting slightly tipsy never tasted so nutritious! It’s perfect for a summer weekend—or simply as an “adults only” accompaniment to Meatless Monday dinner. Healthy sipping!
Calories saved: 170
Why it’s better for you: Half the calories; twice the fun!
- 3/4 cup ice cubes (about 5 large cubes)
- 2 large fully-ripened organic peaches, unpeeled, pitted and cubed*
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled organic English cucumber
- 3/4 cup packed fresh organic baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 ounces 80-proof vodka (1/4 cup)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon coconut nectar or honey
- 3/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- Add ice to a blender. Cover and crush. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and puree well on high speed, at least 2 1/2 minutes.
- Pour into two cocktail glasses
Per serving: 160 calories. 0.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 15mg sodium, 23g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 18g total sugars, 2g protein
*Peel peaches if (1) you're not using a high-speed blender, since peach skin may not puree well, or (2) you prefer a lovelier green color. But remember that there's fiber in the fuzzy skin, plus using it prevents food waste!
The “Before” Version
Inspired by Greens ‘n Ginger™ Smoothie @ Jamba Juice
Per small serving: 330 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium 83g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 66g sugars, 4g protein
- Scrub and use produce skins whenever possible. #nofoodwaste
- For refreshing flair, don’t forget the fresh mint.
- Go a little lighter on the alcohol (1 ounce instead of 1 1/2 ounces per cocktail). You’ll still get to enjoy an alcoholic drink, but without the extra calories … and with a better chance of being hangover-free!