For veggies that are a meal highlight, rather than a side-dish afterthought, you’ll want to make this recipe for roasted carrots with spicy coriander avocado puree. It’s packed with savory and sweet tastes and full of color. And it’s simple enough to prepare on a weekday, but special enough to serve on a holiday table.
- 16 skinny carrots* (8 to 9 inches/20 to 23 centimeters), tops reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 large avocado, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) classic hummus of choice (see recipe HERE)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh carrot tops or cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/218°C.
- Toss the carrots with the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the cayenne, arrange on a baking sheet, and roast until cooked through and caramelized, about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the avocado, hummus, ground coriander, lemon juice, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne to a food processor and puree until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the puree onto a serving platter. Top with the roasted carrots. Sprinkle with the coconut nectar, sesame seeds, and carrot tops, and serve.
*If any of the carrots aren’t so skinny, you can cut them in half lengthwise.
- Serving Size: 4 carrots with about 1/4 cup avocado puree each
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 14g includes 2g added sugars
- Sodium: 520mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: carrots, avcoado, side dish, roasted carrots, vegan side dish, plant-based side dish, vegetarian side dish, holiday side dish