If you’re an egg salad fan but looking for a vegan version of it — or just a new-fangled twist on it — this pulse-based “egg” salad is the answer. It’s fun to make too, since you’ll be making “egg white” salad and “egg yolk” salad, then combining them together to act like the real thing. But the thing is … this 100% plant-based version is 100% real, thanks to pulses. Chickpeas represent the egg yolk, especially when slightly smashed with yellow mustard and turmeric for a golden color. And cannellini or other white beans represent the egg yolks.
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (“nooch”)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon drained, minced pepperoncini or pickled pepper of choice
- 1 (15- to 16-ounce) can chickpeas, well drained*, reserving 2 tablespoons of the liquid (divided use)
- 1 (15- to 16-ounce) can cannellini or white beans of choice, well drained*
- 2 teaspoons classic yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery (or fennel)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh herb mixture, such as chives (or scallion), tarragon, and dill (or fennel fronds), or to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, “nooch,” lemon juice, Dijon, salt, pepper, and pepperoncini. Then whisk in desired amount (if any) of the reserved chickpea liquid (aquafaba) for a saucier texture. Add the white beans and stir with a flexible spatula while slightly smashing beans to combine.
- In a medium bowl, using a potato masher, slightly smash the chickpeas with the yellow mustard and turmeric. Add chickpea mixture to the white bean mixture and stir until it looks like egg salad.
- Add the celery (or fennel) and herbs, stir to combine, and serve. (Hint: Chives or scallions make it taste a bit “eggier.”) Enjoy as is, on a pumpernickel bagel half, or as a sandwich with toppings like tomato, red onion, and arugula or microgreens.
*If you need to reduce sodium, rinse beans after draining, then drain again.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 7g includes 2g added sugars
- Sodium: 810mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan egg salad, plant-based egg salad, pulse-based egg salad, chickpeas, beans, pulses, plant-based sandwich, plant-based salad