It looks like bread! But is it? Well, it’s bread-ish! And it’s my pick for this month’s Recipe Redux: “Bake some Bread.” Though, I guess I didn’t follow the chosen theme so perfectly. Hoping your tastebuds won’t mind! You’ll bake this “bread” like quick bread (think banana bread!). Simply stir everything up in a bowl and pour the batter into a loaf pan to bake. However, it’s not sweet like banana bread; it’s notably savory. Enjoy it as a snack rather than as sandwich bread. And do this: Brown up slices in a tiny bit of olive oil in a skillet and serve like savory French toast! You don’t need to dip the slices in eggs first since there’s already egg in the “bread.” Just skip the syrup at serving. If you like, enjoy it along with a fried egg. I do!
no-knead spinach-cheddar protein “bread”
Yield: 16 servings
Serving size: 1 slice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 7 large organic eggs
- 1 cup organic, grass-fed fat-free milk (or plain unsweetened plant-based milk of choice)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes
- Pinch of fresh grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or flour of choice)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 16 ounces frozen chopped organic spinach, thawed and squeezed well of excess liquid
- 8 ounces organic, grass-fed sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded*
- 1 cup minced fresh crimini mushrooms (3.5 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons raw shelled hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Brush a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Line the bottom with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs until beaten. Whisk in the milk, shallot, garlic, salt, hot pepper flakes, nutmeg, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil until combined. Whisk in the flour and baking powder until combined. Stir in the spinach, cheddar cheese, mushrooms, and hemp seeds until combined.
- Pour mixture into the loaf pan. Sprinkle with the Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese. Bake until cooked through, springy, and crisped and golden on top, about 1 hour 15 minutes. (Note: The “bread” will still be moist when cooked through.)
- Transfer pan to a rack to cool. Sice and serve warm or at room temperature. Store in the fridge or freezer and reheat as you need.
Per serving: 160 calories, 10g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 100mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 8g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 2g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 10g protein
*Or use a mixture of 5 ounces Cheddar cheese + 3 ounces finely crumbled feta cheese.
The “Before” Version
Compare to Vegetarian Spicy Broccoli-Cheddar Loaf
- Vary the veggies and boost the plant-based goodness (and umami!) with mushrooms
- Punch up protein with the addition of hemp seeds
- Add spice intrigue with nutmeg