When you don’t want to be confined to a bowl, create a platter, like my plant-based splatter platter. I call it “splatter platter” because of the style in which you make it. Plus, it’s a “freestyle” recipe, so there are no exact measurements!
- prepared grain
- cooked veggies
- yum ingredient
- citrus wedges
- creamy dressing
- seeds or nuts with salt
- fresh herbs
Build your platter:
- prepared grain — try steamed organic brown rice or farro
- cooked veggies — try roasted carrot + purple cauliflower — or leftovers!
- pulses — try peppery turmeric roasted chickpeas (see recipe below) or white beans
- yum ingredient — try avocado wedges or plant-based “cheese”
- citrus wedges — usually lemon
- creamy dressing — try roasted beet tahini dressing (see recipe below) or “honey” mustard dressing
- seeds or nuts with salt — try black sesame seeds + sea salt — or roasted salted pistachios
- splatter, drip-n-splash (like you’re Jackson Pollock!), or drizzle w/that dressing
- finish w/fresh herbs — try mint leaves & leafy carrot tops
- admire your creation and dive in!
peppery turmeric roasted chickpeas:
Toss 1 (15.5-ounce/439-gram) can chickpeas (well drained) with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon each turmeric powder and freshly ground black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Roast in 375°F/190°C oven until crisp, about 35 minutes. Makes about 3 servings.
roasted beet tahini dressing:
Blend together 1 medium roasted, peeled beet (about 125 grams cooked and peeled), 1/4 cup tahini, 3 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and 2 tablespoons unsweetened peppermint tea or water (or as needed) until pureed into a thick dressing. (Hint: Doubles as a dip!) Makes about 4 servings.
- Serving Size: eat mindfully
- Calories: varies
Keywords: splatter platter, foodart, vegan, vegetarian, plant-based, main dish, grains, vegetables, pulses