These plant-based portabella bacon strips are a must try! They’re basically just thinly sliced portabella mushroom caps, tossed with olive oil, spices, sea salt, and natural sugar, and then baked until crisp.
- 2 extra-large (about 6-inch/15.25-centimeter diameter) portabella mushroom caps, thinly sliced (about 40 total slices)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turbinado or coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 275°F/135°C. Line an extra-large baking sheet (or two baking sheets) with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the sliced Portabellas with the olive oil. Sprinkle with a mixture of the sugar, salt, smoked paprika, chili powder, and black pepper and gently toss. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes, then turn off the oven and let crisp in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheet on a cooling rack to further crisp, and serve. Delicious with plant-based chickpea eggs (see recipe HERE).
- Serving Size: 10 strips
- Calories: 90
- Sugar: 6g includes 5g added sugars
- Sodium: 740mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: portabella, mushroom, bacon, plant-based, breakfast, side dish