Occasionally I cheat … on cupcakes, that is! When it’s just me, I’ve been known to frost healthy muffins and pass them off as cupcakes. It totally works for my tastebuds! Though, I’ve never tried this trick out on anyone else … at least yet!
But please be my guest and use this vegan (Meatless Monday-friendly!) frosting any way you wish, even if you just prefer going the traditional route by frosting cake or cupcakes. The flavor is a hint fruity, which actually makes it quite versatile. Its pink hue comes naturally by way of pomegranate juice reduction. And since “Naturally Colored Holiday Treats and Trimmings” is the Recipe Redux theme this month, it’s a perfect time to share this frosting recipe with you. It’s definitely not that artificial holiday red color; it’s better. Actually, enjoy the frosting for any celebration throughout the year! Though for now … happy “natural” holidays to you!
natural pink party frosting
Yield: 12 servings (frosting for 12 cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup 100% pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- In a small saucepan, add the pomegranate juice and coconut oil. Place over medium heat and simmer until mixture is reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the reduced pomegranate juice mixture to a large bowl. Add the vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and salt and beat with an electric mixer until creamy and fluffy, at least 3 minutes. Adjust powdered sugar or pomegranate juice to desired consistency, if needed.
Per serving (frosting for 1 cupcake): 130 calories, 1g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 31g total carbohydrate, 0g dietary fiber, 31g total sugars includes 29g added sugars, 0g protein
The “Before” Version
Inspired by Vanilla Buttercream
Per serving (frosting for 1 cupcake): 210 calories, 8g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 20mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 35g total carbohydrate, 0g dietary fiber, 35g total sugars includes 34g added sugars, 0g protein
- Kick up color with pomegranate juice reduction for “pretty-in-pink” appeal
- Use virgin coconut oil instead of butter to create a vegan “buttercream” style frosting
- Get cupcake-style goodness by frosting heartier muffins rather than cupcakes