One of my favorite summery comfort meals is this pan-grilled seasonal fruit & treenut cheese pizza. It’s 100 percent plant-based … and 100 percent yum! Using a pan-grill adds a delicious smokiness to it. If you prefer, you can do it on an outdoor grill too, of course. All of the ingredients—grilled fruit, treenut cheese, balsamic reduction, fresh basil, roasted pistachios, and microgreens—work together to create magic.
- 1 serving seasonal fruit, such as 3 fresh figs or apricots or 1 peach, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces (227 grams) whole grain or ancient grain pizza dough, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 ounces (70 grams) soft treenut cheese, such as cashew cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons organic balsamic reduction or glaze (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons small fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons roasted salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 handful (about 1/4 cup) microgreens
- Heat a grill-pan (or grill) over medium-high. Brush fruit with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Grill fruit slices on both sides until grill marks form, about 5 minutes total. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer fruit to a plate. Remove grill-pan from the heat.*
- Rub dough with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. On a large cutting board, press out dough to about 9- by 8-inch (23- by 20-centimeter) rectangular/flatbread shape.
- Replace grill-pan over medium heat. Transfer dough to the grill-pan. Immediately sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Grill until the top of the pizza dough is puffy and the bottom has rich grill marks, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Flip pizza crust over. Immediately top with half of treenut cheese in several dollops using a fork; arrange the grilled fruit on top; and dollop with the remaining treenut cheese. Grill until the bottom of the pizza has rich grill marks, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 3 or 4 slices. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction and top with basil, pistachios, and microgreens. Serve while warm.
Tip: To make organic balsamic reduction, add 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) organic balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer to desired syrupy consistency (reduced to about 2 to 3 tablespoons), about 8 to 10 minutes. Store in a jar until ready to use. Any remaining balsamic reduction can be stored in the fridge for several weeks.
*Hint: Fruit can be grilled in advance, chilled, and brought back to room temperature before pizza prep.
- Serving Size: 1/2 pizza
- Calories: 620
- Sugar: 20g includes 2g added sugars
- Sodium: 760mg
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 75g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: pizza, pan-grilled, grilled, seasonal fruit, treenut cheese, microgreens, vegan, plantbased, vegetarian