- 1/3 cup chickpea flour (42 grams)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened peppermint tea or H2O, at room temp
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sumac and/or turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 small fresh mint leaves
- 1 ounce plant-based feta or goat cheese (3 tablespoons crumbled; optional)
- 1 ounce fresh organic baby spinach (1 cup packed)
- 8 grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, pan-toasted
- 2 teaspoons harissa sauce or 2 lemon wedges (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, tea, 1 teaspoon of the oil, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt, sumac and/or turmeric, and pepper. Set aside for at least 5 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
- Fully heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a well-seasoned cast iron or other stick-resistant medium (10-inch/25.4-centimeter) skillet over medium heat. Hint: If necessary, use a little more oil to help prevent sticking.
- Pour in the chickpea mixture, top with the mint leaves, and cook until just firm on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip over; immediately top entire surface with the plant-based cheese (if using), baby spinach, tomatoes, tahini, lemon juice, pine nuts, and the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt; and cook until the bottom of the “omelet” is golden and firm, about 3 minutes.
- Slide the omelet onto a plate using the skillet’s edge to help fold it. If desired, serve with harissa or lemon wedges on the side.
For bonus omelet fluffiness, whisk 1/2 teaspoon baking powder into the chickpea flour mixture in step 1, if desired.
- Category: Main dish, Breakfast, Brunch
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 omelet
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 2g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 620mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: plant-based breakfast, plant-based brunch, plant-based eggs, plant-based omelet, chickpea eggs, vegan breakfast, vegetarian breakfast